One of the most comprehensive and potent eye support formula available. Contains lutein and zeaxanthin plus vitamins A, C, and E, and bilberry in addition to many other antioxidant nutrients specific for eye health. ‡
Manufactured in a US FDA inspected facility. GMP Compliant. Purity and Potency Guaranteed! We use the highest quality raw materials available. Testing is done at various stages of production. All IOH Nutrition Formulas Meet or Exceed cGMP Quality Standards.
Our bodies are exposed to all sorts of pollutants, more than at any other time in the history of mankind. We face environmental hazards that leave our body systems stretched to their limits. A common consequence of this pollutant overload is the production of excessive oxidative products (free radicals) that initiate degenerative health problems. One of the early organs that show this degeneration is the eye. To counter the problem, a reliable eye specific antioxidant product is needed. This eye formula contains ingredients that offer a multitude of antioxidant properties. And when combined into one product, their synergy offers benefits that surpass all other eye care antioxidant products. Why use Eye Care?
It contains one of the highest number of known eye care ingredients:
- Contains an effective combination of vitamin A palmitate, mixed carotenoids and bilberry.
- Contains SOD precursors (Copper, Zinc & Manganese)
- Contains a wide variety of plant based antioxidants.
- Raw materials are carefully selected from reliable suppliers that maintain high quality products.
- Purity and potency of every batch of these materials are comprehensively tested.
- All the ingredients are carefully selected and researched to give the best results possible.
- Vitamin A is commonly referred to as the vision vitamin. It helps in keeping the cornea clear and healthy. Vitamin A plays an important role in eye health management.
Vitamin A sufficiency also reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Studies have also indicated that, vitamin A slows down visual deterioration seen in the inherited eye disorder called Stargardt’s disease that affects children and young people. The disease can lead to vision loss.
Mixed Carotenes: This formula contains mixed carotenes and not just beta carotene. A study funded by the National Eye Institute found that a combination of carotenes, vitamin E, Vitamin C and copper reduced chances of advanced forms of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) by up to 25%.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are two types of carotenoids that offer further support for eye health. When combined with Vitamin A, studies have shown that the rate of vision loss in the inherited condition called retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is considerably slowed. This formula contains large amounts of these important ingredients.
Eye Care Astaxanthin is yet another carotenoid that offers powerful eye support against degenerative conditions such as cataracts, AMD and glaucoma. It does this by protecting the eye against ultra-violet light damage that usually leads to fat oxidation and cataract development.
Studies have shown that this carotenoid in combination with other ingredients in improve central vision and markedly reduce inflammatory process and premature cell death seen in glaucoma.
Astaxanthin supplementation is important in preventing and reducing eye fatigue (asthenopia) related to prolonged use of visual displays such as computer monitors. One study showed that when a group of workers were put on astaxanthin supplements for a month, more than 50% had less eye fatigue. The group also reported better eye accommodation.
These benefits have also been demonstrated in healthy people. Vitamin D3 may be known better in the role it plays in promoting bone health. Studies have also shown its place in rejuvenating the eyes and in its support for better vision.
Other powerful antioxidants found in Vision Shield Complete Formula include:
Selenium. It is an important ingredient in supplements that help in the management of meibomian gland dysfunction, cataract disorders and in the prevention of age-related macular degenerative disease. Some studies have shown that selenium in combination with beta-carotene, vitamin E and C can arrest and even improve the progression of AMD.
Alpha Lipoic acid. The ingredient is thought to reduce oxidative stress and cataract formation through promotion of endogenous antioxidants including glutathione peroxidise.
Zinc. This trace element is highly concentrated in the retina and choroid. Studies have shown that it may reduce the tendency of AMD for those at risk of the condition.
Turmeric can also help to reduce the rate of macular degeneration.
Ginkgo biloba promotes eye circulation which is important in overall eye health.
L-cysteine, Quercetin, Lycopene and N-acetyl cysteine are all proven antioxidants that add weight to the effectiveness and benefits of this formula.
‡ These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Dosage: 1 capsule per day for prevention and 2 capsules per day for those with a family history or current eye issues.
60 Vegetarian Capsules
1. Evans JR, Lawrenson JG. Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for slowing the progression of age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Nov 14; 11:CD000254. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000254.pub3.
2. Evans JR, Lawrenson JG. Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for preventing age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Jun 13;6:CD000253. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000253.pub3. Review.
3. Ohia SE, Opere CA, Leday AM. Pharmacological consequences of oxidative stress in ocular tissues. Mutat Res. 2005 Nov 11;579(1-2):22-36.
4. Nakajima Y, Inokuchi Y, Shimazawa M, Otsubo K, Ishibashi T, Hara H. Astaxanthin, a dietary carotenoid, protects retinal cells against oxidative stress in-vitro and in mice in-vivo. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2008 Oct;60(10):1365-74.
5. Parisi V, Tedeschi M, Gallinaro G, Varano M, Saviano S, Piermarocchi S. Carotenoids and antioxidants in age-related maculopathy italian study: multifocal electroretinogram modifications after 1 year. Ophthalmology. 2008 Feb;115 (2):324-33.
6. Cort A, Ozturk N, Akpinar D, et al. Suppressive effect of astaxanthin on retinal injury induced by elevated intraocular pressure. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010 Oct;58(1):121-30.
7. "Nutrition and Eye Disease of the Elderly", Bunce, G.E., Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, February 1994;5:66-77.
8. "Review: Antioxidant Protection of the Ageing Macula", Gerster, Helga, Age and Ageing, 1991;20:60-69.
11. Maitra I, Serbinova E, Trischler H, Packer L. Alpha-lipoic acid prevents buthionine sulfoximine-induced cataract formation in newborn rats. Free Radic Biol Med. 1995 Apr;18(4):823-9.
12. Claudio Marcocci, M.D., professor, endocrinology, University of Pisa, Italy; Jacob Warman, M.D., chief, endocrinology, Brooklyn Hospital Center, New York City; May 19, 2011, New England Journal of Medicine
Perfect for aging eyes plus antioxidant rich for assisting with environmental protection. The 6mg of astaxanthin is a fantastic ingredient that also helps strengthen our skin from within. Love this well rounded, clinical formula. Now I do not have to take a separate astaxanthin.