This formula is a high potency, purity guaranteed, multi-ingredient formula. It includes pure 5-hydroxy tryptophan (5HTP/activated tryptophan) as well as other supportive and highly bioavailable nutrients that have been shown to be helpful in enhancing the effectiveness of 5HTP far beyond this ingredient taken by itself. We designed this formula as a “lozenge tablet” so that it can be swallowed, chewed, or dissolved in the mouth. For those that have poor absorption or experience nausea from 5HTP, or those that need quick effects, dissolving in the mouth is the optimal method of administration.
This formula may help to lower the perception of stress, cut cravings, reduce appetite, support healthy mood, and enhance sleep (and thereby enhance healing and lower overall inflammation through better sleep), increasing calmness and optimizing stress tolerance and patience. ‡
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
5‐HTP Plus P5P & Glycine Benefits:
- Supports healthy mood and healthy sleep.
- Supports calmness & tranquility.
- Promotes a sense of well-being.
- May help reduce anger and aggression.
- May reduce pain and joint stiffness.
- May reduce appetite and may be helpful in managing weight loss efforts. (AJCN1992;56:863-867)
- May reduce carbohydrate cravings.
- May help some women suffering from hot flashes where hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is contraindicated.
- 5HTP is an amino acid that is the precursor for the production of serotonin and melatonin. Both serotonin and melatonin have a direct effect on sleep and mood.
- Glycine is an amino acid that acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Because of this function, it accentuates and supports 5HTP’s effects. In addition it has a sweet taste so it acts as a natural sweetener for the chewable tablets.
- P5P is the active form of Vitamin B6. It is needed for proper neurotransmitter function so is an important part of this formula.
‡ These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
All IOH Nutrition Formulas Meet or Exceed cGMP Quality Standards.
90 Chewable Tablets.
- Optimally dissolve tablets under the tongue. They can also be chewed or swallowed. Take 1 tablet 1-4 times a day.
- For sleep enhancement: Take 1-2 tablets at bedtime and another 1 tablet if one wakes in the night. Repeat the dose if one wakes in the night.
- May also be taken during the day for a calm mood but caution should be taken as it can make some feel sleepy.
- When used for depression, consider adding dopamine and norepinephrine support such as our Amplify T and/or CAT support.
- Make cause sleepiness if taken during the day.
- Potential side effects include heartburn, nausea, and drowsiness. May interact with SSRI medications causing too much serotonin.
- Administration of 5-HTP alone may worsen some types of depression due to its ability to facilitate depletion of catecholamines. 5-HTP should be administered carefully in patients with depression because it may cause depletion of dopamine and norepinephrine.
- Considering using this formula with a catecholamine support or a dopamine support formula in those with depression.
1. Angst, J., Woggon, B. & Schoepf, J. Arch. Psychiat. Nervenkr. (1977) 224: 175. doi:10.1007/ ... Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998 Jul;22(7):648-54
2. Clin Exp Immunol. 2012 Feb;167(2):269-74. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2011.04519.x.
3. Curcio JJ, Kim LS, Wollner D, Pockaj BA. The potential of 5-hydroxytryptophan for hot flash reduction: a hypothesis. Altern Med Rev. 2005;10:216-21.
4. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2003 Mar;6(2):229-40.